Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Yuan-Ti
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:25 am 
WoC Architect
WoC Architect

GSID: Waterjules
Name of Main PC: Laurel Dy'ness
Foreword: It is three am as I put my quill to this page in an effort to make a coherent account of the notes collected by my colleague Dr. Lucinda and myself over the last two years. I will omit anything that is not particularly relevant in my haste to have it to the printers as soon as they open their doors today.
I fear they have become aware of our research, a shadow dogs my steps and I am haunted by a constant sense of being watched. Dr. Lucinda has been missing for the past four days and I fear she may have been abducted. I am adament that this work be mass produced for the world must be made aware of the threat that lurks amongst us. With that in mind I will now transcribe what we have learned of the Yuan Ti...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ANCIENT HISTORY.

The Children of Chaos;

In the time before men, when Elves where still young to the world the Great Lady Chaos conceived the notion of a race of conspirators. It is said she was in great ire at the order the Elves imposed on the world and sought to poison their works to her own ends.

The Goddess crafted nine great eggs, vile and unnatural things fathomed by malice and incubated in the pitchiest of umbra. From these loathsome shells the Abominations where born. Nine foul beings, the seed spawn of chaos clawed there way free into the unsuspecting world.
The Abominations looked upon the world of the time and there first thoughts where poison on the order they saw. The primal force of chaos burned within their minds and they left their hatching ground for their dire tasks.

The Abominations;

It is said that not all of the first born resembled the snake. As beings of chaos their forms stretched wide between them. All however, where born bearing the seeds of a new generation and after leaving their hatching ground they each sought a place where they may nest until their young had spawned.
To their children did they pass down their divine agenda, for it was always to be those younglings that would do the work with the abominations to guide them. In the deep places of the world they schooled their spawn with the intelligence gifted them by their Goddess.
Here I will right on those terrible creatures what little we have found.

Noogoth'Ram; A great beast, primal in appearance and mindset. It is said he was to resemble the basilisk of today. He's legends tell that he could infest the minds of the week, bending them to his will. His breath was toxic and he had the ability to drink the thoughts of intelligent creatures, leaving them mindless husks on which he fed. Deep in the desert sands he dwelt, only coming up from the catacombs he nested in when the most violent storms scrounged the dunes. He was reputed to be able to send his mind out miles from his body to plot and scheme, and directed his children thus.

Sa'Katta; Alien and grotesque, the shadow weaver was reputed to have nested on the heart of an elven community. Her way was of the unseen and in the darkest nights she would send her tendrils of corruption out into the hearts of her enemies. 'She who lurks on the fringe' was reputed to be able to send men mad with a whisper, or blind them to reason with a suggestion to their darkest desires.

Tseyach; By a cruel mockery of fate, this terror was said to have been housed in the form of a beautiful elf child. To the exterior she was flawless; a shining bastion of all that is good in the world, but her heat was darker than a full eclipse. It was said that she carried tiny vipers in her belly and could cough them up to do her bidding. Unnaturally intelligent her form let her walk amongst the ranks of her enemies unannounced to them; she used this often to her advantage. It was in her eyes that her nature could be known however. Those serpentine orbs of hate where supposedly able to drop a man with intense pain. With them she could show someone there worst fear.

Lamanu'Xi; 'The Void'. It was said that this abomination slowly faded after its hatching slowly becoming less and less substantial. It is believed it reached a point where it needed inhabit the form of another to survive. It chose with a dire wisdom, inhabiting the newly mummified form of an elven king. In this form he fooled an Elven people into thinking there king had been immortalised and played out his cruel joke to their demise. It is said that he spent a great deal of time in the pursuit of necromancy, and his fell power was legendary.

Ossini'Mattra; A lithe skeletal thing, flesh stretched over a wiry frame he was said to be. 'The Dancer' he was called for he's legend tells of a fervour that burned in him that would not allow him a moments rest. He was said to have wandered the world webbing intricate plots a rumour at a time. Terribly sadistic and excessive in extreme was his nature said to be, he schooled his children in his ways.

Siinu; 'The Sirine' in the water filled coves she made her nest and raised her children by the ocean. Hers where thoughts of destruction for those who would venture onto the seas, and later she would descend to sing her songs of madness against the elves who had settled beneath the waves. It was she who unlocked the mysteries of the deep and passed on the dark things she learnt to her children. It was said that her voice could tear at the fabric of reality, and that she would feast on the tears her chaos would cause.

Gozacca'Sulu; A bloated and vile creature said to have inhabited the deepest of jungles. We where not able to uncover much of his nature.

Lomiinusa; Nothing could be found on this being but its name.

Jokqu; A nightmare thing said to have delighted in the slaughter of the innocent. All references to it stylise it as a serpent with wings of feathered shadow. The engravings we found where conflicting, as one would depict it as a small creature, draped around a humanoids neck, where's others had it as a behemoth, terrorising a city from above. It is likely that it was the former and the other is a depiction of the power it wrought.

The Rise;

The first children of the Abominations where few, but given time they multiplied and a new generation where born. Whether by a fluke of there genes or some divine plot, this new generation had more a semblance to the elves with witch they wared.
It was around this time that the race of mankind, until then struggling for survival against the elements, came into their own. Great cities they began to build, and the new generation of snake blooded saw in them a tool they could use. It seems from the beginning that they have been amongst us. Mankind is often led astray, betrayed by our own desires, so it is no stretch of the imagination that we could be used so.
The second generation seeded themselves into our society like a slow acting poison. I doubt not that those who bore the taint of the snake too visibly where rooted out for what they where and destroyed, but the mind of the Yuan Ti is insidious and as they bred into our lines they took on our traits more and more.
Perhaps if the elves had been more astute to what mankind would become they might have foreseen the potential damage the Yuan Ti posed to us both, but I fear the Elves where little concerned with humans in those days and so the snakes thrived amongst our populace.

I hold paranoia as my shield now, for I am aware of how deep seated there infiltration is. Others may laugh at what I write but I fear to trust my own neighbour lest he be one of the snake blooded.

Of course not all of the Yuan Ti of that time settled in amongst the human populace, others would infiltrate civilisations where they could, I suspect there are snakes hiding in the blood of most races. Although I'm sure the Elves would vehemently deny that there could be such amongst their ranks.

The Writings of Shan Xi;

It is perhaps the most peculiar thing that the biggest opponent to the Yuan Ti race was one of their own. It seems that through the writings of a Diviner named Shan Xi the pinnacle of the rise was met. The Yuan Ti seam to be obsessed with knowledge, and this obsession was very nearly their end. Of the content of the illuminated manuscripts, if any still exist, I know only second hand accounts. I have never had the chance to view one myself. Reputedly, they where inspirational. The entire race was caught up in the frenzy of their circulation. Each one unique, they where meant to have delivered insights unto the reader the likes this world has not seen before. Strangely although it was relatively easy to learn of these things, the exact nature of these insights remains a mystery.
A bigger mystery still though is the effect they had on the Yuan Ti.
The race was apparently united as never before in its history. The Abominations had woken from there slumber by the fervour that rippled through the snake blooded. Each new manuscript awoke other authors to produce works of their own and for one terrifying moment it seemed as if the Yuan Ti race had pieced together a puzzle too hideous to imagine.
That was when things went wrong.
In the space of one moonless night those who where involved, which was near the entire population of Yuan Ti, faded out of the history books like candles snuffed in the night. It is said that they did not go quietly however. This was not some simple exodus or noiseless death in ones sleep. There are tales of hideous laughter and wailing screams from that night. Riots and fire were common place for a few frenzied hours, indeed, to the average man who knew nothing of the snakes in his midst, it would have seemed as if hell itself had opened that night.
There was a calm afterwards. Those Yuan Ti that survived the night must have gone into seclusion. There they stayed for many years, only to surface once more in an unsuspecting world.

MODERN HISTORY.

After the Fall;

As I have mentioned, the Yuan Ti race suffered heavy casualties on the night of the fall. Of the Abominations, Ossini'Mattra, Tseyach, Jokqu and Loiinusa where almost certainly destroyed. The others retreated back to their nests and once more out of the pages of history.
The fractured remains of the Yuan Ti retreated also it seems, but perhaps it is more accurate to say they withdrew to regroup.
The veil of secrecy that the snake blooded operated under was drawn ever tighter around them, sheltering them from the world like a cloak.
When they once again surfaced they bore little semblance to the people they once were. Where once there had stood a race fractured and faceless as a mob, now there existed a clear division of focused purpose.

It would be a misconception however to believe that their cabals hold order as we know it. Indeed, they despise order. It is perhaps a strange irony that there shared hatred of structure, forces them into an order in itself. Be not led astray by this semblance of order though, they exist as ever a fractured people. There cabals know no head, nor do their members impose any senate onto themselves.

The 'Folds' as they are known I detail as we have discovered.

The Fold;

The Disciples of Shan Xi; The term 'Disciples' conjures up a misconception of this fold in my opinion. These are the snake blooded that reputedly guard the remaining Illuminated Manuscripts. Well they know the price of power and forbid any they deem unworthy the writings. Diviners and Necromancers, they delve into forgotten lore. They are the historians and the Yuan Ti and the teachers of there kind. They are said to live in the cities of mankind, deeply ingrained in the populace. They are either preoccupied with the past and in particular the Night of the Fall, or obsessed with prophesy, on what is to come. They are a quiet fold but the threat of their existence is a dire one. Many of the Disciples lost faith in Arynaesis after the Fall. They claim that she abandoned her children in there hour of need. Often jaded and sombre, they continue their plots now in the name of the blood.

The Children of Siinu; Whilst the rest of the Yuan Ti race was engrossed in the Writings of Shan Xi, the Children of Siinu where pursuing a different agenda. For ages they had been at war with the Elves who dwelt deep under the oceans surface and it was mere days before the Night of the Fall when they first succeeded in stealing the secret of Hide-Ya from them. There numbers where only small though and they suffered causality in a rare open battle with the Elves on the Night of the Fall.
The Children of Siinu retreated along with their brethren after the fall. Long years spent in the worlds shadows. The secrets of Hida-Ya now mastered they dwell in the ocean as much as they do on the land, though typically they make there nests near water of some kind. As their mother before them the Children of Siinu all have voices that hold power, they are masters of the forgotten lore, that which time has buried deep below the waves.

Shadows Coil; I was able to find a fair amount on these "zealots". Their very nature seems to make them a little easier to find. Some imagination and reading between the lines of literature on particularly unusual individuals following the Lady Chaos shows a few more than likely to be of the fold of Shadows.
These snake blooded are particularly devout to Arynaesis, almost to the point of madness. Consisting mainly of priests and fanatical warriors, they seem particularly close to the wills of the Goddess. By appearances, they tend to style themselves as the ruling fold, and try to lead the other folds in the service of Chaos. Perhaps they see themselves as the means to restore the old days of their glory and power. I doubt the other folds see them as such, and probably resent their lordship over them.
The zealots have a deep affinity for the shadows, as their name suggests. Their power over them extends to their manipulation, although weather this is in physicality or mental powers I am unsure. They are a dark and shadowed people, shrouded in mystery, whispering and sending their black tendrils of manipulation from the Umbra.

The Weave; Wanderers, nomads, they infest the lower levels of society. One could be excused by assuming no Fold exists here but their ways are subtle. They dance the dance in honor of Ossini'Mattra, doing the good work as he did ages past. They sow the seeds of doubt amongst the populace, gnawing at the foundations of our works. Hustlers, gypsies, sell swords, and two bit peddlers they are the rats that crawl unseen amongst us.

Old Bloods; The "Old Bloods" seem to be the type of creatures parents warn their children about. Feral in nature, they appear to see perfection in the abominations, and glorify in their snake blood. They bend the natural world around them to their own will, usually shaping it into a twisted mockery of its original state and seem to shun civilization and the works of mankind. I highly doubt any of this fold contains any but pure yuan-ti blood.
Since Arynaesis created the abominations, it seems these "Old Bloods" follow in her name by default, although it would seem more appropriate to say they worship the abominations themselves. Fearsome in appearance, they glorify that which makes them appear different from the other races around them. The more they appear like the abominations they follow, the stronger they are seen to be.

The Nameless; Covering the snakes that do not affiliate with any of the folds, The Nameless often appear weak compared to their folded brethren. Usually unpure breeds of varying degree of strength whom are unaware of the fold, or are trying to seek it out. I'd imagine such creatures usually have to perform actions to highly impress a particular fold before they are even considered as worthy of induction.
Also, some of the yuan-ti fractured so far during the fall that they seemed to be driven mad. Tending to be mindless and weak creatures who seem unaware of their past, weather due to choice or force is not known... lost to the sands of history. Such creatures are shunned by the fold, and are the more "common" yuan-ti seen and killed by adventures so often.

The sun has broken the dawn as I finish these last words, my candle has burnt down to a stub. I must get this journal to the printers immediately, for the world needs know what lurks in the shadows. I only hope I'm not too late...

Editors note: The man who brought this journal in to be printed, one Mr. Lukinsville was unable to be found after the fact to have any of this confirmed. As such the reader is advised that there is no way of telling if any of this is true or if it is simply the workings of an overactive imagination. The publisher accepts no responsibility for misinformation.

My Blog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:10 pm 
WoC Architect
WoC Architect

Other Races (playable if so stated)

The Ageless Kin
Breathstealers
Bugbears
Conception, Gestation and Maturation Across the Species
Erri’l
Gobley: Language of goblins and hobgoblins
Half-Celestial (playable race)
Celestial Races Revisited
Half-Demons (playable race)
Half-Dragon (playable race)
Half-Nymphs (playable race)
History of Languages
History of the Yuan-Ti
Hook Horrors
The Githzerai
The Illithids
Kitsune
Llith
The Lupinal
Lycanthropes (playable race)
The History of Lycanthropy
Master Trees and Barklings
Merfolk
Minotaurs of Caenyr
The Pedryfan’elfen
Ri’asa (playable race)
Sea Siren
The Sidhe
Spirit Folk
Unique Undead of Etaria
Vampyre (Playable race)
Wemic

My Blog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:06 pm 
WoC Architect
WoC Architect

More reading on the Natural History of Caenyr:

A Basic Guide to Faerie Dragons
The Bitter Pole – The World’s Crown
The Bitter Sea
Bugbears
The Cycles of Caenyr
The Deep Sea
Dragons of Caenyr
Dragon Settlements
Heavenly Forces
The History of Gem Dragons
History of the Yuan-Ti
The Githzerai
Hook Horrors
Illithids
Luhta Kanta: Cursed Children of Aryanaesis
The Lupinal
Master Trees and Barklings
Minotaurs of Caenyr
Moons of Caenyr
Plants and their Uses
Poison – the Whats and Hows
Owlbears
Rare Cloths and Other Materials
Rauk’hra – Terror of the Black Fathoms
Star Stories
Wemic

My Blog

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]