Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:33 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:46 am 
WoC Architect
WoC Architect

GSID: Waterjules
Name of Main PC: Laurel Dy'ness
The following is a reproduction of a collection of entries taken from the journal of Valing Kensbane, a wandering priest of Jaerik.
The original tome in which the cleric recorded his studies was unearthed during an expedition northward in to the frozen wastes.
A most fortunate find for the disciples of Jaerik, Valing Kensbane seems to have spent his adult life researching the affliction of lycanthropy. This document has succeeded in illuminating a field in witch was previously veiled in mystery and folklore.
It is therefore my great pleasure to release this tome to the greater public, may its contents fuel the continued quest for a cure for this dreadful curse.

Darioun Kamen,
High Priest of Jaerik.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day One

We still have no word from Priest Ramir. I have decided to retrace the steps of his journey. Even if I don't find what has happened to him, the journey may take me to a discovery worthy of Jaerik.

Day Five

I have arrived at his destination but there has been no sign of Ramir. As much as I was enjoying the travelling I think it best if I wait here for a few days to try and uncover some leads.

Day Seven

Something extraordinary happened last night! The local farmers managed to capture and kill a savage and lone wolf that had been getting into the livestock at night. I was awoken in the early hours of this morning and told I should examine the body. I was confused at first, what would I want to see from a wolf carcass? However the body I was taken to was not a wolf, but the naked body of priest Ramir!! The farmers told me the savage wolf they had killed had transformed into Ramir's body before their very eyes! I must take this body to the High Priest. I would request to investigate what infliction could cause this amazing transformation.

Day Sixteen

I have spoken with the High Priest and he has encouraged, nay ordered me to investigate this phenomenon. He did know enough however to give me the afflictions name. It is the curse of Lycanthropy.
The high priest also told me that after examinations of the body, Ramir was found to have large amounts of belladonna on his person. I shall perhaps make this my first lead...

***At this point Valing stopped dating his entries. Perhaps he took another journal and kept this tome for more important and concise information.***

I have spoken to a number of those close to nature, and they have given me much information about the belladonna plant. It has long been used to slow symptoms of disease of all kinds, and it grows by the light of the red moon Bandeth. How this is related to lycanthropes I do not know. Perhaps lycanthropy is also related to the red moon somehow?

A chance meeting has proved most fortunate! I have met a ranger by the name of Kahlane who is somewhat versed in the affliction of lycanthropy. She has explained that some magic element in belladonna (Bandeth?) causes a reaction in the body when eaten. This reaction creates some kind of magical protection against lycanthropes in beast form. I find, however, that this discovery raises more questions. If belladonna causes protection against lycanthropes, what would Ramir be doing with belladonna on his person? What link is there between plant and curse that causes this reaction?
Kahlane also said something else of interest. In her years hunting the afflicted, she has found that silver weapons seem to have an advantage over the average martial weapon. Weather this is from any physical allergy or a break in resolve for the beasts in question she is not certain. It also only seems to be pure silver weapons that do this. Simply applying a plate of silver over another metal doesn't have any effect. We also seem to have a slight discrepancy in the appearance of the afflicted in beast form. She states hunting those that appear as a ghastly mix of humanoid shape and beast, whereas I was led to believe Ramir appeared the same as your average wolf. Perhaps a trifle more intelligent and prone to solitude than your average wolf, but outward appearance was the same. Are we in fact both referring to the same affliction?

I have come across many tales of folklore about adventurers cursed by Draxil. I'm not sure how much I should believe these tales. Perhaps with much more time and investigation I may have some idea as to how this affliction originated. However I will not record such information until I am quite confident in its validity.

Jaerik has rewarded my efforts! After many months of fruitless searching for more information I have stumbled upon a gold mine; I have discovered one of the afflicted! The tortured soul is most upset about his present state and has agreed to let me examine and test him. His only request is that I do not reveal his name in these recordings. So from here on I shall refer to him as subject.
He has given me much valuable information, I think he hopes I may discover a cure... however I wish to observe all the details he has told me first hand before I record them as fact.

First we have explored the effects of belladonna. It appears that by eating belladonna every day Subject can keep from changing into his animal form, which is that of a large brown bear. (We quickly decided a strong room of some sort is necessary for both my safety and the safety of other persons and creatures around when he does transform.) Without eating belladonna Subject transforms each night, and with much study it was concluded that the duration of the change is as long as Bandeth is in the sky. There is definitely a connection between the curse and the red moon, however why or how this is so must be investigated at another time.
Ingesting belladonna each morning after resting appears to slow down the frequency of the change quite considerably. If the belladonna is taken each morning without fail then the change seems to happen only once in a rough 3 month period. ((15 days real time))
Further investigation showed another link with Bandeth. The period between transformations when treated with belladonna is equivalent to the time taken for Bandeth to renew itself. For instance if a transformation occurs when Bandeth is full, with belladonna treatment the next transformation is the next full Bandeth.

A note of interest, Subject states that before he was inflicted, he was adept at nature magic and his study of animals and beasts has helped him to calm and control the bear within him. Subject has seen bears in the wild fishing in streams and gathering honey. He knows the distinction between the placid bears he has seen and the beast that he becomes.
However, when subject -in human form- is grievously hurt, his control is greatly weakened and the bear comes forth, more ferocious than ever. The beast can ignore some of the pain it has been caused, however when changed back to its natural state, the man suffers greatly.

Spells of curing seem to do nothing to expel the beast, only cure what ailments the beast has. This does not surprise me much; if simple spells were able to cure this affliction then there wouldn't be such need to research it.

A sample of Subjects blood reveals that silver causes an allergic burning reaction. When in human form, silver appears to hold no fear for subject. However when in his animal form, Subject seems to know the potential for pain caused by pure silver and shies away from such weapons. Although the beast can be provoked into such a rage that it will throw itself at anything regardless of weapons.
Polished steel has no such fear or allergic effects on the beast at all, and silver coating on an existing weapon does not contain enough silver for the blood to react to, nor for the beast to sense it present.

Further note of interest. A blow with a pure silver weapon when the beast is severely weakened and/or unconscious is enough to kill the creature, and in death the creature reverts back to its natural form.

After many years of study I believe I have gleaned as much truth from these peasant folklore tales as I can ever do.

These tales tell of a group of greedy adventurers, five in total.
The first was a powerful giant of a man, skilled in the ways of the forest and healing magic. Many tales tell of his enormous strength, and his tendency to fight unarmed in battle, trying to grapple his opponents to crush them.
The next was a woman of a mix of elf and human blood. Her skill of the shadowy arts were unmatched, she would stalk her opponents to strike at them at their most vulnerable spots.
The next was a barbarian from the north. He was short of height but stout of build; his stubborn advances in battle would knock his opponents to the ground.
The most unusual member of their group was a little gnomish warrior. What he lacked in height, however he made up for in ferocity.
The leader of this group was an elven woman skilled in the arts of the arcane. She would stand back from the others in battle, shouting orders to lead the group into a vicious pack against their opponents.

Tales state that the group were notorious for their quests for wealth, and one day decided they were strong enough to take on a mighty silver dragon, which was rumored to have made its lair in an abandoned mine. The creature had been living in the mine for many years, and had plenty of room to hunt without plaguing villages of their livestock. There was no complaint from any for the creature, however the adventurers were blinded to this, and only saw the mighty beast as a barrier between them and its hordes of silver.
The adventurers fell upon the creature as it slept. The mighty creature fought valiantly with all it had, however the adventurers quickly overcame it. Once they defeated it, the adventurers severed its head, cut out its heart, and removed a goodly number of its scales. They also helped themselves to as much as they could carry of its silver horde. The adventurers exited the mine in good spirits, and planned to return as soon as they could to get more of the silver and scales for their profit.
However what greeted them at the entrance to the cave was something they did not expect. Draxil had watched their cruelty to one of his creatures, and was angered.
An enormous golden dragon was waiting for them as they tried to flee with their spoils. Once it spotted them it let out an almighty roar and a voice boomed across the night. The voice stated they shall be punished for their cruelty, and the light shining by the red moon at its fullest was suddenly intensified. The light infused each of the adventurers, twisting their forms into something else.

The powerful nature dweller was transformed into the form of a large brown bear.
The half-elven stalker was transformed into the form of a sleek panther.
The sturdy barbarian was transformed into the form of a robust boar.
The small gnome was transformed into the form of a ferocious badger.
And the elven wielder of the arcane was transformed into the form of an intelligent wolf.

The tales state that the adventurers were doomed to roam the earth at night as animals, with no more control over themselves than any other animals needs and motives dictate. They were also cursed to pass on the magic within them to whoever's blood mixed with their saliva. In time they were feared and reviled, as instances of the affliction spread across the known world.

I do not know how much of this tale is truth, however it makes the weaknesses of the afflicted make a lot more sense. The light of Bandeth seems to be a part of the spell the greater god used to curse them, and so all correlations between Bandeth and the afflicted are a core part of the magic infused within the curse. Also, the adventurers were after silver, and it would have been all around their bodies when they transformed. Weather the allergy to silver was a side effect of the proximity and quantity of the metal, or an ironic twist to the curse by Draxil, I do not know.

I have heard some stories of vile half man and beast creatures. Rumors abound a cult of evil Ath'endal'lynn worshipers are involved in some way. I shall investigate and report my findings upon my return.

***This was the last entry in the tome that was recovered. It is not known if Valing continued his studies in other books or if something more unfortunate happened. The possibility that this great man has left more information as his legacy will keep my hopes alive that more tomes will be found.***

My Blog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:21 pm 
WoC Architect
WoC Architect

GSID: Waterjules
Name of Main PC: Laurel Dy'ness
Other Races (playable if so stated)

The Ageless Kin
Breathstealers
Bugbears
Conception, Gestation and Maturation Across the Species
Erri’l
Gobley: Language of goblins and hobgoblins
Half-Celestial (playable race)
Celestial Races Revisited
Half-Demons (playable race)
Half-Dragon (playable race)
Half-Nymphs (playable race)
History of Languages
History of the Yuan-Ti
Hook Horrors
The Githzerai
The Illithids
Kitsune
Llith
The Lupinal
Lycanthropes (playable race)
The History of Lycanthropy
Master Trees and Barklings
Merfolk
Minotaurs of Caenyr
The Pedryfan’elfen
Ri’asa (playable race)
Sea Siren
The Sidhe
Spirit Folk
Unique Undead of Etaria
Vampyre (Playable race)
Wemic

My Blog

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]